Sunday, February 22, 2009

For this week's homework, I am supposed to use one skill I have learned in Itec814 class on Feb. 9 with my students and report back to my instructor through this blog. I feel that Google blogger that I just learned will be a good tool that I can use with my Mills Chinese 4 class. I would like each student to create his/her own blog. Later on, they can turn in their homework, e.g. essays through the blog. One benefit I can think of is that the student will have their "essay folder" per se saved on one web page throughout the semester. As their teacher, I can trace their works and monitor their progress in essay writing on their blog. Of course, students themselves can also reflect on their own improvement by keeping their essay blog as well.

What I have done so far is getting myself acquainted with the blogger myself. (Oh, boy I wish I could take in and digest the new technology much more faster!) I created a separate google account designated just for my Chinese 4 class. I made the blog private and limiting the readers to only this class students. The first post was created . Meanwhile, I am preparing a handout to navigate students through the process of creating a blog. Next week, I am going to ask each student to create a google account, and then a private blog page. Each one of them needs to send me an email from his/her blog inviting me to join. Then, students should send me their email addresses that they used to create their google accounts. I will make an excel spread sheet to list out their names vs. email addresses (imagine that some of the email addresses will be too creative to recognize!) Now, I can send email to each student and invite them to join my blog. Is there anything I missed?

3 comments:

  1. I think that its great that you are already implementing these recently learned tools. Are you planning on having students work from home, or will you be taking them into the career center/library to get set up with Google? It would be nice if we could form a grant committee at Mills to get the funds to buy technology for student use. I really feel that we are behind in the tech department when comparing Mills to other schools/district.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is wonderful that you have already started implementing what we have learned in this tech class. Are you planning on taking your students to the career center/library or will you be assigning this for them to work at home? It would be nice if we could develop a grant committee at Mills to see if we could get funding to purchase and upgrade technology at Mills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right. I have brought students to career center/computer lab a couple of times. We spent a lot of time trying to get ourselves online. Then comes to the problem of typing Chinese characters... Not very effective.

    Right now, I am asking my students to work at home. Well, I anticipate many "couldn't do it on my home computer" responses. In fact, I will get their first feedback tomorrow in class.

    ReplyDelete